Leheetriote, Israel (see you later)


So, it was a great tour, but all good things must come to an end (not sure I really believe that in general, but it was true in this case).

Flavia and I left Israel on Wednesday evening, after saying a tearful goodbye to my co-workers and friends at the Embassy. I will especially miss the Consular staff – they were an excellent crew.

I’m happy to report that Flavie and I both survived the 24 hour trip home. We flew Tel Aviv – New York – Atlanta – Little Rock and then drove to Hot Springs. Little Flavie did great! I was able to bring her in the cabin with me the whole way. I’m even happier that when we got to Mom’s house, she did not hide under the bed, but made herself right at home and explored the house. What a world traveler she is becoming!

I took some parting shots of Israel in the neighborhood around the apartment at sunset one evening. Click here to see the album.

Geula Street Cat














The last couple of weeks have been hectic. I had several meals with my friends and neighbors, Bill and Diane. Indian food for Sunday brunch, breakfast beachside on a Saturday, and a last trip to Benedict’s for a yummy breakfast the Sunday before I left town. We also had dinner together with neighbors Katie and Charlie last Monday to celebrate Katie’s pregnancy.

I had a nice going-away dinner with Petit, Howie and Mike at the Thai House one night – it wasn’t really goodbye since they will all be in Islamabad with us!















The Consular section had a nice farewell party for me on Friday before I left and gave me a pretty commemorative plaque of Jerusalem – awfully sweet of them!

I celebrated my birthday the day before I left Tel Aviv. We had cake at work, and I had a glass of wine with Petit and Howie.

Flag and motorcycle

Then before I knew it, my last day of work rolled around, and I headed to the airport that night. 24 hours later, I was sitting in Mom’s house in Hot Springs. I’ve spent the last couple of days trying to get over jet lag, so I’m moving pretty slowly!

John is doing great in Pakistan – he really seems to like it and is going to lots of social functions after work. I’m also happy to report that father-in-law Pete is doing well after surgery to remove a kidney. He’s tough!





It’s good to be back in Arkansas. The weather is not hot yet, so it’s very pleasant. I spent yesterday afternoon sitting on Aunt Bonnie’s back porch with her and Mom – there is probably a lot of that in my future the next few weeks!

Mom and the resident mallards










Aunt Bonnie and Koli


Comments are closed.